What Happens When Someone Calls You on while you are on Airplane? for iOS devices and android phones. Everyone wants a break from stressful schedules or a very tiring day. Putting your phone on airplane mode provides that needed rest from the never-ending cycle of buzzing alarms and continuous conversations. You are also told to use this feature on flights so that the call signals will not interfere with the airplane’s control system.
Whether you’re using an Android phone, an iPhone, a tablet, or any other device, putting the device on airplane mode prevents it from receiving calls and texts. But is there a way to see the calls you’ve missed while in that mode? If you want to learn all about what exactly happens when someone tries to reach you when you’re on airplane mode, then you’re in the right place.
Here’s what happens when someone calls you when you’re in airplane mode:
- Callers will hear your phone ringing and think you’re available.
- Although you will not hear the phone ring, the caller may receive an unavailable message.
- If you have voicemail on, the caller can leave you a message.
- If the caller does not leave a voicemail, you will never know that the person was trying to reach you.
What Happens When Someone Calls You on Airplane Mode for Android And iPhones?
When someone calls you on airplane mode on iPhone and Android phones, it simply says that the line is not reachable or unavailable. The situation would look as if your phone was switched OFF or the user is in an area with a poor connection. This is why it is a handy tool when you’re looking for a bit of relaxation without disturbances from your phone.
On the other hand, you can still turn ON your WiFi and Bluetooth manually even while airplane mode is on, so if the calls are over the internet, such as Facetime or WhatsApp calls, they would be able to go through because of the WiFi connection.
Will I Get Notified If Someone Called Me When My Phone Was on Flight Mode?
You won’t get notified if someone calls you when your phone is on flight mode. This happens because flight mode, which is the same thing as airplane mode, blocks transmission signals from your device, and the person will not be able to reach you.
Does Airplane Mode Stop Incoming Calls?
Yes, airplane mode stops incoming calls. Once you turn ON airplane mode, your cellular network, WiFi, and Bluetooth services are OFF. But while you can still manually turn ON WiFi and Bluetooth, it is not the same for your cellular network. This is why if someone tries to call your mobile number, it won’t go through.
Options for Making Calls When the Phone Is on Airplane Mode
While Airplane mode limits call through the cellular network, there are other options you can use if you still want to make calls while using flight mode. These are some of them that would work when using a WiFi connection.
- You can make Facetime calls on airplane mode. Although, this only works for iPhone devices.
- You can make calls over the internet using WhatsApp, on Airplane mode but with a WiFi connection.
- You can also make calls using the Messenger app, on Airplane mode, but with WiFi.
Things You Can and Can’t Do When Your Phone Is on Airplane Mode
Here are some things you can’t do when your phone is on Airplane Mode:
- When your phone is on airplane mode, you can’t make or receive calls over a cellular network.
- While on airplane mode, you can’t send or receive text messages over a cellular network.
- You cannot browse web pages using cellular data when your phone is on airplane mode.
On the other hand, here are some things you can do when your phone is on airplane mode.
- You can turn ON your Bluetooth and WiFi when your phone is on airplane mode.
- You can connect your Bluetooth to an external speaker and listen to songs.
- You can receive messages and calls from apps that use a WiFi connection. These apps include WhatsApp, iMessage, Facebook messages, Instagram, etc.
- You can also play games on your phone while airplane mode is turned ON (if it’s an online game, you might need WiFi).
How can you tell if someone’s phone is on airplane mode?
In general, it’s hard to know if someone’s phone is on airplane mode.
You can of course try to call them and see if you get an “off coverage” voice message from the service, or send a text and see if the message doesn’t show a “delivered” status. However, this could also mean the recipient’s phone is turned off or the battery is dead.
Also, just because you’re able to send web messages (Messenger, iMessage, Whatsapp etc) to the recipient doesn’t mean their phone is not on airplane mode, since some devices allow you to keep a wifi connection when on airplane mode.
Do you get a missed call notification if your phone is off?
Depending on whether you have this service activated, you may get a missed calls notification after you switch your phone back on.
The information about the missed call alert is saved on your network server when it is in the switched-off state. As soon as you switch the device back on and it connects to a cellular network, the network detects it and may send you a text message about calls you missed.
If you have voicemail service activated, your phone will save the recorded message. Similarly, text messages sent to your phone will be put on hold until you switch on your phone. They will get delivered to you as soon as you switch on your phone.
If I Turn My Phone on to Airplane Mode, Will I Receive Any SMS Messages That Were Sent to Me When I Turn It Back OFF?
If you turn ON Airplane mode, your device will not receive calls and messages from the cellular network. However, when you turn the airplane mode OFF on your phone, you will not receive any notice of the calls. However, in the case of messages sent over a cellular network, they would still deliver to your phone regardless.
Airplane mode also helps the phone charge fast and conserve battery power. This is because the airplane mode function has already stopped all the energy-draining activities of the phone.
Why Do You See Missed Texts but Not Missed Calls When the Phone Was Powered OFF?
When your phone is switched OFF, text messages sent are not delivered. Instead, they are stored in the text messages server, and when your phone is switched back ON, the message is retrieved and sent back to the intended receiver. This is not the same for missed calls. When making calls through the cellular network, it connects to the person you’re calling at the supposed time. If that person has airplane mode or their phones are switched OFF, there’s no report of the call ever happening.
Is Airplane Mode the Same as Do Not Disturb?
No, airplane mode is not the same as do not disturb. Though they both serve the same purpose of allowing you to take a break from calls, text messages, and the internet, they do the following using completely different methods. The differences between Airplane mode and do not disturb are listed below:
- For Airplane mode, calls are restricted. In the case of Do Not Disturb, the calls register on the phone, but they do not ring out.
- In Airplane mode, text messages are restricted but appear when the mode is switched OFF. For Do not Disturb, text messages appear on the phone, but the notification sounds are silenced.
- In Airplane mode, cellular data is switched OFF, so you cannot use the internet. On the other hand, in Do not Disturb mode, you can use the internet.
- You can customize what your Do Not Disturb effects. However, in the case of Airplane mode, once you click on the icon, you cannot personalize the functions.
- Both Airplane mode and Do Not Disturb do not affect alarms.
What Do You Hear When You Call Someone on Airplane Mode?
When you call someone on airplane mode, a recording says, “the subscriber you’re dialing is not available,” or “the phone is switched OFF.” These responses mimic when the phone is switched off, which is the effect that airplane mode has on incoming calls.
What Happens When Someone Calls You on Do Not Disturb
When someone calls you on Do not disturb, the call ringtone is silenced, and so the person is not alerted that you called or not. Do not disturb is set to silence all types of notifications associated with your phone and leave you to rest without being awoken by calls, texts, or loud alarms. After turning off DND, you can still note down who reached out to you either by call or text message.
How to Turn ON Airplane Mode on iPhone and Android
To turn ON airplane mode on Android, you can tap on the airplane icon on the drop-down menu on the home screen to activate or look up Airplane mode in settings and click on it. Both ways would activate Airplane mode on your Android device.
For iPhone, you have to pull up the menu at the bottom of the screen. An airplane icon would be present alongside WiFi, Bluetooth, and cellular data functions. Tap on the airplane icon, and it will turn orange. This would activate Airplane mode.
How to Turn ON Do Not Disturb on Android and iPhone
To activate the Do Not Disturb on Android, click on the control center on the home screen. An icon would appear with the tag “Do not Disturb” on it. Tap on the icon, and the Do Not Disturb function will startup. Another method would be to click on Settings and then on Sound. A menu would show Do not disturb as one of the options. Click on it to activate the function.
To do the same on iPhone, follow these steps
- Pull up the menu of the control center.
- Click on Focus
- Click on Do Not Disturb.
From settings directly, click on Focus and then choose Do Not Disturb.