This article contains a list of the best IT Certifications to acquire if you are considering a career as an IT professional in Nigeria. An Information Technology certification can significantly increase your salary in Nigeria and expertise to deliver tech tasks with a better understanding.
The IT landscape is constantly evolving, which means it’s never the wrong time to get certified in new tech skills. We found the best certifications that can boost your earnings the most for 2022 in Nigeria.
First of all, these are some of the most valuable IT certifications today, Each offers specialization in different aspects of IT.
- AWS certified cloud practitioner
- Certified cloud security professional (CCSP)
- Certified data privacy solutions engineer (CDPSE)
- Certified data professional (CDP)
- Certified ethical hacker (CEH)
- Certified information security manager (CISM)
- Certified information systems security professional (CISSP)
- Cisco certified internetwork expert (CCIE)
- Cisco certified network professional (CCNP)
- CompTIA (A+, Cloud+, Security+)
- Microsoft Certified Azure Solutions Architect
- Microsoft certified solutions associate/expert (MCSA/MCSE)
- Information technology infrastructure library (ITIL)
- Oracle database and MySQL administration certifications
- Project management professional (PMP)
- Salesforce certified development lifecycle and deployment designer
Whether you’re a recent graduate or seasoned tech specialist, preparing for and attaining certification is a great way to expand your skillset, impress prospective employers and stand out from the crowd.
IT certifications can help you quickly gain and validate valuable skills and know-how in a domain that will further your career. Here are the most popular IT certifications in Nigeria (2022):
Google Certified Professional Cloud Architect
GCPC in Nigeria, a Google Certified Professional Cloud Architect is a Professional that allows organizations to leverage Google Cloud technologies. With a deep knowledge of cloud architecture and Google Cloud Platform, this Architect can design, develop, and manage robust, secure, scalable, highly available, and dynamic solutions to drive business objectives. cloud.google.com
Cloud skills are critical for any organization operating in the cloud and IT decision-makers are struggling to find qualified candidates for cloud job openings. They’re in such demand, the average cloud computing professional in the U.S. makes over $160,000 a year despite being such a small percentage (4%) of our respondent base.
- This exam objectively measures an individual’s ability to demonstrate critical job skills for the role.
- This exam must be taken in-person at a Kryterion testing center locations.
- Format: Multiple choice and multiple select
- Length: 2 hours
- Registration fee: $200
AWS Certified Solutions Architect – Associate
Amazon Web Services Solution Architect in Nigeria, the AWS Certified Solutions Architect – Associate examination is designated for IT professionals or individuals who perform a solutions architect role, it helps you to certify your ability to efficiently demonstrate knowledge of how to develop and deploy a secure and robust application using AWS technologies. aws.amazon.com
To achieve this certification, you must pass the AWS Certified Solutions Architect – Associate (SAA-C01) exam. The AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner certification is a prerequisite. AWS also recommends a year of hands-on experience designing systems on AWS before taking this exam.
- Prerequisites: Knowledge and some experience in designing distributed applications
- Format: Multiple choice questions and multiple answers
- Exam Duration: 130 minutes
- Cost: $150
CISM – Certified Information Security Manager
CISM in Nigeria, the Certified Information Security Manager (CISM) is a top certification for any IT professionals responsible for managing and developing information security systems in enterprise-level applications, or for developing best organizational security practices. The CISM credential was introduced to security professionals in 2003 by the Information Systems Audit and Control Association (ISACA). isaca.org
CISM is an essential certification for individuals looking to make the move from security technologist to security manager. It confirms a high level of technical competence and qualification for top-caliber leadership and management roles. CISM is the third most popular certification amongst IT professionals with 20-plus years of career experience.
- One exam (150 questions, four hours to complete)
- Cost of exam: Exam fees: member $575; nonmember $760
CRISC – Certified in Risk and Information Systems Control
CRISC in Nigeria, It is an acronym for Certified in Risk and Information Systems Control. The ISACA organization names CRISC as the most current and rigorous assessment available to evaluate the risk management proficiency of IT professionals and other employees within an enterprise or financial institute.
Security manager and director are the most common job roles for a CRISC-certified professional, but a large percentage also work in information security, as a security engineer or analyst, or as a security architect.
To achieve this certification, you must pass the Certified in Risk and Information Systems Control (CRISC) exam, which consists of four domains:
- IT Risk Identification
- IT Risk Assessment
- Risk Response and Mitigation
- Risk Control, Monitoring and Reporting
CISSP – Certified Information Systems Security Professional
CISSP in Nigeria, the Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) is an advanced-level certification for IT professionals well determined about careers in information security. Offered by the International Information Systems Security Certification Consortium, this vendor-neutral credential is recognized worldwide for its standards of excellence.
To achieve this certification, you also need at least five cumulative years of paid, relevant work experience in two or more of the CISSP domains. If you lack the necessary experience you can still take the certification exam, then you’ll have up to six years to obtain the required experience.
- One for CISSP (English CAT exam: 100-150 questions, three hours to complete; non-English exam: 250 questions, six hours)
- Cost of exam: $699
PMP® – Project Management Professional
PMP in Nigera, Project Management Professional certification is an industry-recognized credential established for project managers. PMP exhibits the experience, education, skill, and competency required to lead and direct projects. The PMP certification is the most sought-after certification administered by the Project Management Institute (PMI), USA.
PMP certification is reliant on two factors: project management experience and passing the PMP exam. To become certified, individuals must have 35 hours of PMP-related training. In addition, those who don’t have a bachelor’s degree must have 7,500 hours of project management experience, while those who have a bachelor’s degree or higher need 4,500 hours.
CISA – Certified Information Systems Auditor
CISA in Nigeria, the CISA refers to a certification issued by the Information Systems Audit and Control Association (ISACA). The certification is the global standard for professionals who have a career in information systems, in particular, auditing, control, and security. CISA holders demonstrate to employers that they have the knowledge, technical skills, and proficiency to meet the dynamic challenges facing modern organizations.
The CISA exam is comprised of five domains or sections. There are 150 questions on the exam and you will have four hours to complete it. For each domain there are items which will test your procedural skills and then a set that evaluates your knowledge.
Oracle MySQL Database Administration
The MySQL Database Administration (CMDBA) certification offered through Oracle University is designed for database administrators who want to prove their skills with increasing performance, integrating business processes, and managing business processes and data. The certification allows you to “prove your ability to deliver reliability and performance to current and future employers” and to gain “in-demand skills to scale database applications and integrate your business.” Certification paths include Professional, Specialist, and Developer — you will need to pass the MySQL Database Administrator Certified Professional Exam Part 1 and Part 2 to earn your certification.
Average annual salary: $89,000
AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner
This fundamental-level course is intended for individuals who seek an overall understanding of the AWS Cloud, independent of specific technical roles.
This fundamental-level certification is often held by individuals early in their careers, as it is a springboard for more specialized AWS certifications down the road.
AWS Cloud Practitioner validates the ability to define basic cloud infrastructure and architectural principles, as well as key services on the AWS platform. A certified professional should also be able to describe basic security and compliance aspects of the platform.
VCP6-DCV: VMware Certified Professional 6 – Data Center Virtualization
VCP6-DCV validates the skills needed to build a scalable virtual infrastructure using VMware vSphere 6. Certification candidates will learn how to deploy, consolidate and administer virtualization technologies, such as vSphere High Availability and Distributed Resource Scheduler clusters.
If you are new to VMware virtualization technology, you’ll need to attend one course from an authorized training provider, such as Global Knowledge, and pass two exams: vSphere 6 Foundations and VCP6-DCV. If you already have a VMware certification, you’ll need to complete one of the following exams: VCP6-DCV (2V0-621) or VCP6-DCV Delta (2V0-621D).
Salesforce Certified Development Lifecycle and Deployment Designer
The Salesforce Certified Development Lifecycle and Deployment Designer certification falls under Salesforce’s architect certifications track. This certification exam is offered as a specialization you can take under the Certified Systems Architect certification path. It’s designed for IT pros responsible for assessing the company’s architecture environment and requirements and certifies your ability to implement management solutions on the Salesforce platform.
Average annual salary: $95,000
Information Technology Infrastructure Library in Nigeria, with the launch of ITIL® 4 a year ago, the world’s most widely-used framework for IT management experienced an update for the first time since 2011. ITIL 4 addresses the new processes and methods used in modern IT, such as DevOps, Agile, and Lean IT development.
ITIL Foundation introduces ITIL 4 and examines IT service management through an end-to-end operating model. The certification validates an understanding of the ITIL framework and how it can be used to enhance IT service management.
To achieve this certification, you must pass the ITIL exam; there are no other prerequisites for the Foundation exam. It is, however, a prerequisite for follow-on ITIL Intermediate courses.
Top IT Certifications by domain
Best Networking certifications in Nigeria
As Cisco is a leading provider of infrastructure products, a certificate from this company confirms that you’re versed in the latest developments and best practices in networking. The most essential are:
- Cisco certified network associate (CCNA): A step up from Cisco’s entry-level certification, CCNAs can specialize in the following areas: cloud, collaboration, cyber operations, data center, industrial/IoT, routing and switching, security, service provider and wireless.
- Cisco certified network professional (CCNP): After the associate level, the CCNP is a more advanced IT certificate in one of the above-mentioned specialty areas. You can specialize in CCNP Enterprise, Data Center, Security, Service Provider or Collaboration.
Best certifications for IT security in Nigeria
Hacking and cyberattacks are hot topics today, and many jobs in security and risk management are going unstaffed. The following are some of the most valuable IT certifications in this booming field.
A professional organization devoted to IT security and governance, ISACA manages a number of global certification programs, including:
- Certified information systems auditor: According to ISACA, the CISA is its cornerstone certification. As the name indicates, this exam is aimed at information systems (IS) professionals who monitor, control and assess a company’s IT or business systems. This certificate requires five years of professional experience in the field.
- Certified information security manager: The leading credential for information security managers, the CISM is designed for people who design, build and manage information security programs. To qualify, you must have at least five years of IS experience and three years as a security manager.
- Certified in risk and information systems control: The CRISC accredits professionals and project managers responsible for information security and its overall impact on the enterprise. It covers risk identification, risk assessment, risk response and mitigation, and risk control monitoring and reporting.
- Certified in the governance of enterprise IT: The CGEIT demonstrates your understanding of enterprise IT governance principles and practices. It is one of the most sought-after certifications in IT, commanding some of the highest salaries.
- Cybersecurity nexus (CSX-P): In a time of constantly evolving cybersecurity threats, the CSX-P certification demonstrates that you are up to date on security standards and risks.
Other valuable IT certifications for security include:
- Certified ethical hacker: EC-Council offers several certification programs, and one of the most popular is the CEH. Professionals with this certification specialize in penetration testing, which is why it is often a prerequisite for positions like cyber forensics analyst, cybersecurity engineer and applications developer.
- Certified information systems security professional: This is another cybersecurity certification in high demand. Designed for experienced IT professionals, CISSP holders understand vulnerabilities in networked systems and create policies to safeguard systems and minimize risk.
- Global information assurance certifications: All about information security, the GIACs come in several categories: cyber defense; penetration testing; incident response and forensics; cybersecurity management, audit and legal proficiencies; developer; and industrial control systems. The highest level is the GIAC security expert (GSE).
Best certifications for cloud computing in Nigeria
As cloud computing becomes the new normal in IT, more cloud-related credentials pop up. Many of them are specific to individual vendors, such as Microsoft, VMware, and Amazon. There are also a few certifications that focus on more general practices across this fast-growing area. Top certifications include:
- CompTIA cloud+: CompTIA cloud+ covers all major elements of cloud computing, including configuration, deployment, security, management and troubleshooting.
- VMware Certified Professional – Cloud Management and Automation: The VCP-CMA certificate shows that you know how to configure and administer a VMWare vRealize environment. You’ll also understand how to use process automation to handle day-to-day operations.
- AWS certified solutions architect — professional: Amazon is the largest provider of cloud computing services, and this certification affirms your ability to design and deploy cloud environments using Amazon Web Services.
- Salesforce certified development lifecycle and deployment: Employers are desperate for high-end specialists in this cloud-based CRM. This certification is the first step toward becoming a Salesforce certified systems architect.
Best IT management certifications in Nigeria
Project management is indispensable to IT operations. And because it involves planning, scheduling, budgeting and execution, certification can be a key stepping stone to managerial positions.
- Certified associate in project management (CAPM): Offered by the highly respected Project Management Institute (PMI), the CAPM is an ideal entry-level management credential.
- Project management professional: Also offered by PMI, the PMP credential is among the most prestigious in the profession. A number of subspecialty certifications are also available.
- Certified ScrumMaster: The entry-level CSM certification is offered by the Scrum Alliance. It is an excellent way to show your knowledge of Scrum and Agile management practices.
Best IT help desk certifications in Nigeria
Many IT professionals begin their careers in technical support and help desk roles. And to give students a leg up, schools are increasingly offering courses that prepare students to acquire help desk certifications. You can certify in either the help desk functions as a whole or concentrate on a specific vendor’s platforms and products.
- HDI certifications: Formerly called the Help Desk Institute, HDI offers certifications that range from the entry-level HDI desktop support technician to the HDI support center director. The HDI technical support professional certification is particularly popular with hiring managers. HDI also offers credentials for support center analysts, team leaders and customer service representatives.
- ITIL: The UK organization AXELOS is charged with promoting best practices for IT service management. ITIL, formerly an acronym for Information Technology Infrastructure Library, is the registered name for a widely accepted framework for managing IT service delivery. There are five ITIL certifications, ranging from foundation to master.
- Apple certified support professional (ACSP): You can demonstrate your expertise with macOS support essentials with this the ACSP certification from Apple.
Best certifications in database, analytics and other data technologies in Nigeria
Database technologies remain foundational to IT operations, while growth in big data and analytics initiatives is driving new career opportunities.
Certifications tend to be built around a single provider’s platform, including:
- Certified data professional (CDP): The Institute for Certification of Computing Professionals (ICCP) offers one of the most comprehensive certifications for data professionals. The CDP is offered in five tiers, ranging from foundation-level to executive management, and you can focus on specific roles, such as business analytics, data governance, enterprise data architecture, data analytics and data warehousing.
- Oracle certified professional: Oracle, the world’s leading database provider, offers certification in a range of database professions, from database administration and database application development to analytics, data warehousing and big data.
- SAP certified technology associate: This certification demonstrates your ability to install, manage, monitor, migrate and troubleshoot SAP’s database technology.
- Microsoft SQL Server certifications: Like Oracle, Microsoft offers a range of certifications, including database administration, business intelligence, and data management and analytics.
- CCIE data center: This Cisco certification demonstrates expert-level skills required to plan, prepare, operate, monitor and troubleshoot complex data center networks.