People have different reasons for keeping tabs on the location of a phone number. For instance, Nigerian parents might want to ensure their kids’ safety by knowing where they are. On a different note, individuals who suspect their partners of infidelity might find comfort in tracking their whereabouts. Sometimes, businesses might decide to use phone number tracking to make sure their employees are carrying out their field tasks as they should.
Whether you’re attempting to locate a misplaced phone, find where a friend or family member is, or look into suspicious phone calls, Google Maps comes in really handy. Its phone number tracking feature lets you easily find someone’s location or reach the place they’re at.
The steps are straightforward for both iOS and Android users. In this guide, we’ll take you through the process, step by step, of locating a phone number using Google Maps. This way, you can make the most of this powerful tool.
Here’re some methods on how to trace a phone number in Nigeria.
Table of Contents
Contact Your Network Provider to Track Your Phone
Reaching out to your network provider is typically the first step you should take if you’re aiming to track someone using their phone number. This is because your network provider maintains records of all call activities, allowing them to inquire about specific calls.
However, due to security considerations, many network providers share limited information. They might disclose only the state or city where the call was made, even after verifying the legitimacy of your request for information. In the event that additional concerns arise, the service provider can investigate the phone number.
When it comes to locating a lost or stolen phone via its number, the network provider will likely ask for the phone’s IMEI number along with its current number. It’s possible that the network provider won’t provide an extensive amount of information. Consequently, you might find it necessary to explore alternative methods for tracking a phone number in Nigeria.
- MTN: 0803 100 0180
- Airtel: 0802 150 0111
- Glo: 0805 002 0121
- 9mobile: 0809 000 0200
Track the Phone Number on Google Maps
Enable Location Sharing and Send a Request: To start off, if you’re looking to track a cell phone number using Google Maps, follow these steps to set up location sharing.
- Open up the Google Maps app on your smartphone and log in.
- Tap your profile picture and select “Location sharing” and then “Share location.”
- Choose the contact you want to share your location with and specify how long you want to share it.
- Click on the person’s profile you want to share the location with, and then hit “Share.”
- For getting real-time location updates from the targeted devices, follow these same steps or share a link through their phone number once the location-sharing feature is activated.
Utilize the Search Function in Google Maps: If you’re unable to locate the user or they aren’t in your Google contacts, you can use the search feature to find them.
- Open the Google Maps app on the device you want to track.
- Tap on “Location sharing” and click on “Add people.”
- Copy the location-sharing link to your own phone.
- Now you can keep tabs on the cell phone number’s location using this link.
Tracking a cell phone number on Google Maps can provide peace of mind in various situations. Just remember to respect privacy and use this feature responsibly.
Track Phone Number and Location Using Truecaller
Have you heard of Truecaller? It’s like a phone tracker that many Nigerians are familiar with. People use it to find out who’s calling them using just the phone number. This app is free and it helps you know where a caller is. It’s a modern app that stops annoying text messages and calls and stops numbers you don’t want.
When someone in Nigeria has your contact saved on their phone and they get this app, your name and number get added to a big list, even if you didn’t say it’s okay. But don’t worry, your details aren’t available right away. However, anyone can easily find your name by looking in the list.
If you call someone who uses Truecaller, the app checks the list and shows your name, even if they didn’t save it. So, it kind of tells them who you are without you telling them directly.
In Nigeria, the police and other agencies use Truecaller to stop bad things, save lives, and stop cheating. Regular people use it to know who’s calling from strange numbers and companies that call them before they pick up.
With this app, you can see who’s calling you, whether it’s a mobile, prepaid, or landline number, no matter where it’s from. Plus, it helps you check things like train info, bills, bank stuff, and messages that are important. It’s not just for finding out who’s calling, it’s also a way to keep track of things.
Use an IMEI Tracker
An IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identity) is a special 15-digit code that helps identify a mobile device. This code is really useful for finding where a phone is by looking at its IMEI. To do this, you need to know the IMEI of the phone you want to find. You can usually find this in the ‘Settings’ or ‘About’ part of your phone.
Once you have the IMEI number, there are lots of websites that can help you track where the phone is. They use the IMEI number to figure out where the phone is and also tell you other stuff about it, like what type of phone it is and who made it.
Use Social Media to Track the User
Utilize Social Media to Find Someone’s Location. Social media platforms offer a useful method to pinpoint the whereabouts of a phone number. For instance, platforms like Facebook and Instagram can come in handy. By initiating an online search using the phone number, you might stumble upon the user’s profile on various social networking sites. Once you’ve identified the user’s profile, you can attempt to gauge their location based on the content they share, such as posts and photos.
Nevertheless, it’s important to note that not all users disclose their location, which could limit the effectiveness of this approach. Nonetheless, if the user has provided information about their location, this method could offer a convenient way to determine their whereabouts.
How to Locate Your Android Phone with Google’s Find My Device
You know, you can use Google’s Find My Device service to track a phone number. But there’s a catch: the cell phone you want to track needs to be connected to the internet. This service helps you find a phone that’s using GPS and has internet access.
So, how does it work? The Find My Device app is smart—it figures out when your phone moves away from a Wi-Fi zone and updates the GPS location. Here’s how you can use it to find your Android phone:
- Go to Android Find My Device and log in with your Google Account.
- If you have more than one phone, pick the one you’re looking for.
- The service will send a message to your lost phone.
- You’ll see your lost phone’s location on the map.
- Keep in mind, the location might not be super precise—it’s just a rough idea.
- If your phone is truly lost, and it can’t be found, the service will show you where it was last.
- You’ve got some choices: if you think someone nabbed your phone, you can lock it and erase its contents.
- You can also make it play a sound, keep it secure, or wipe everything clean if needed.
Use an IP Address Tracker
An IP address tracker serves as a potent tool to trace the physical whereabouts of a phone number. Its functionality hinges on utilizing the IP address linked with the phone number to pinpoint the general geographical region it corresponds to. This capability proves beneficial for uncovering an individual’s location, potentially extending to pinpointing their precise address.
The process at its core is fairly straightforward. To commence, you’ll need to acquire the IP address linked to the specific phone number. This can be done either through the phone carrier or by utilizing an online service like an IP address tracker.
Once the IP address is secured, it can then be input into an IP address tracker. These services typically manifest as websites or applications and will have the capacity to reveal an approximate geographical area affiliated with the IP address. Additionally, they provide supplementary valuable data such as the Internet Service Provider (ISP) and the Internet speed associated with the IP address.
Use Apple’s Tools to Find Your iPhone
If you own an iPhone, chances are good that you also have another Apple device. The Find My app, which is part of Apple’s Find My network, can help you locate your iPhone by showing you its last known location. Read our comprehensive guide on Finding A Lost or Stolen iPhone That’s Turned Off Or Offline in Nigeria.
Your other Apple device can assist you using the Maps app. Here’s what you should do:
- Open the Find My app on your other Apple device. This could be another iPhone, an iPad, or a Mac. Just make sure this device is linked to the same Apple ID as your lost iPhone.
- Head to the Devices tab. If you’re on an iPhone or iPad, you’ll find it towards the bottom of your screen. On a Mac, it’s usually located at the top of the Find My window.
- Choose the iPhone you’re trying to find.
- Tap on Directions.
- You’ll then be directed to the Maps app. If possible, you’ll receive instructions to locate your iPhone. If your iPhone is somewhere unfamiliar, exercise caution. It’s wise to consider involving the police if you suspect it’s necessary.
In addition to providing directions, the Find My app can also send a signal to your iPhone, especially if you don’t have an Apple Watch. Here’s how to do that:
- Launch the Find My app on your other Apple device—again, it could be another iPhone, an iPad, or a Mac. Ensure this device is using the same Apple ID as your lost iPhone.
- Go to the Devices tab. On an iPhone or iPad, you’ll find it at the lower part of the screen. On a Mac, it’s usually at the upper left of the Find My window.
- Choose the iPhone you’re looking for.
- Select Play Sound.
Once you do this, your iPhone will start vibrating and emit a sound similar to the default alarm sound. Keep in mind that you can’t make your iPhone flash, but hopefully, the sound will help you locate it. Additionally, you’ll receive an email confirming that you used the Find My app to trigger a sound on your iPhone.