NIN Nigeria – All About National Identity Number, A3 Techworld. What is NIN? The National Identification Number (NIN) is a set of numbers assigned to an individual upon successful enrolment. How To Block Your Bank ATM Card in Nigeria Immediately.
It is mandatory for every Nigerian citizen and legal resident to enroll for the National Identification Number (NIN). The process is the same whether you choose self-service or you require an assisted service. How To Change BVN Date Of Birth, Phone Number, and Details.
What is the National Identity Numer (NIN) in Nigeria? The National Identification Number (NIN) is the unique number that identifies you for life and is issued to you by NIMC after your enrolment. It is used to match you with your biometric data and other details in the National Identity Database during verification and authentication.
Why is your National Identity Number Important? Your National Identification Number (NIN) is used to tie together all records about you – demographic data, fingerprints, head-to-shoulder facial picture, other biometric data, and digital signature – in the National Identity Database making it relatively easy to confirm and verify your identity when you engage in travels and transactions.
How To Enroll or Apply for National Identity Number NIN in Nigeria?
NIN Registration Step 1:Fill up the pre-enrolment form online, download and print Pre Enrolment Slip
- Fill the NIMC Pre Enrolment online form by visiting Pre Enrolment Portal
- All the mandatory fields need to be completely filled with correct information.
- Download and print your Pre Enrolment Slip
NIN Registration Step 2: Submit Your NIN Application
- Walk into the nearest NIMC Registration Centre with any one of the following Original and Valid supporting documents.
- At Enrolment Center you will be directed to a counter where our Enrolment Officer will verify the presence and compliance of all details of your application.
- If your application is in order, the Enrolment Officer will guide you to proceed with the capture of biometrics (ten fingerprints and facial image) and you will collect the Transaction ID Slip as evidence of the transaction.
NIN Registration Step 3: NIN issuance
- The normal time frame for issuance of the National Identification Number (NIN) Slip is 2 to 3 working days from the time the biometric details are captured at enrolment centers.
- The issuance of NIN may take longer in certain cases due to the validation of details at NIMC. VFS has no role to play to expedite such cases.
- The Transaction ID Slip is required to be stored carefully by the applicant as it is required to be presented at the time of collection of NIN Slip indicating completion of enrolment
Required Documents for NIN registration
Walk into the nearest NIMC Enrolment Centre with your BVN if you have one and any of the following required Original and Valid supporting documents:
- Old National ID Card
- Driver’s License
- Voter’s card (Temporary or Permanent)
- Nigerian International passport
- Certificate of Origin
- Attestation letter from a prominent ruler in your community
- Birth certificate
- Declaration of age
- Attestation letter from religious/traditional leader
- NHIS ID card
- Government staff ID card
- Registered/recognized private organization staff ID card
- School ID Card (private/public)
- Tax Clearance certificate
- Valid immigration documents
How To Check Status Of National Identity Card Online
You can easily check online to see if your National ID card is ready for pick up, and here is how:
- Go to the National Identity Management Commission [NIMC] website.
- Scroll down the home page and click on ‘e-ID Card Status Portal’ to check if your card is ready and in which activation center.
- Now, fill in your first name, last name, and your NIMC check tracking ID and hit the ‘check now’ icon.
If your card is ready, you can now head over to an activation center to collect and activate it.
How To Link NIN to Your MTN, Airtel, Glo, and 9mobile Number
This section is a guide on How To Link Your NIN to Your MTN, Airtel, Glo, and 9mobile. The Federal Government of Nigeria in its bid to stem criminal activities has through the NCC mandated that all registered SIM be linked with National Identity Number (NIN).
How to link my NIN to my MTN number
You can link your MTN Nigeria line to your NIN via the below methods (USSD, Webpage and MyMTN App)
- Online registration portal via https://mtnonline.com/nin
- USSD code: Dial *785# or
- Via myMTNApp, get it on Google Play or Apple Store
- Complete the NIN linking form by entering your name, phone number, NIN, and email address.
- Submit the form as soon as you’re done.
- Wait for feedback from the network.
How to link my NIN to my Glo number
To link your Glo number to your NIN, simply an SMS containing your NIN, first name, and last name to 109 ((Send “UpdateNIN, NIN, FirstName, LastName to 109).
- Visit the online registration portal via www.gloworld.com/ng/nin to fill in your information and link. Or
- Dial *109*yourNIN# (e.g *109*90123456789#) and follow the prompts to submit your details Or
- By SMS – Simply text your 11-digits NIN number to 109 (e.g 90123456789 to 109) and wait for a reply.
How to link my NIN to my Airtel number
Just like MTN, you can also link your Airtel Nigeria phone number line to your NIN via the below methods (USSD and Webpage.
- Visit the online registration link via www.airtel.com.ng/nin
- Or dial *121*1# on your Airtel line to submit your NIN
- Type 1 for “NIN Capture” and send.
- Enter your 11-digit NIN and send.
- Wait for the message confirming your submission.
- If you get an error, just wait for some time and try again.
How to link my NIN to my 9mobile Number
- Dial the USSD code *200*8# and follow the prompts to submit your details;
- Or Visit 9mobile.com.ng/nin to submit online
- Click on ‘Verify and Link your NIN now’
- Fill the required information and submit
How To Check Your NIN Number on Mobile Phone:
If you have enrolled for the national ID card scheme, you can get your NIN by dialing *346# from the phone number associated with your voter’s card, driver’s license, or BVN registration. At the moment, the USSD code works on MTN, Airtel, Glo, and 9mobile.
To check your NIN number on your mobile phone, simply follow the steps below;
- Dial *346#
- Select the “NIN Retrieval” option, by typing in ‘1’ to check your NIN number if you dialed this code from the phone number you used when registering for your NIN.
- Select “NIN Search” by typing in ‘2’, to check your NIN by inputting some of your registration details if you’ve lost your phone number or using another phone.
- Details will be displayed on your screen after that
The USSD code to check your NIN number on your phone attracts a onetime fee of N20
Also, you must dial from the sim associated with a previous registration of either voter’s card, driver’s license, BVN, or any other registration that got your thumbprint and photo.