List of Phones and Networks that support eSIM in Nigeria. An eSIM is easily described as a digital SIM that enables users to activate a cellular plan from their carrier without having to use a physical SIM.
Virtual Sim cards, simply called eSim cards, were firstly made available in Nigeria by the telecommunications service provider, MTN Nigeria. The virtual cards will provide the same functionalities as physical SIM cards. The virtual sim, eSIM is built into the phones and therefore cannot be lost or damaged by the owner.
This article gives you insight into phones and mobile networks that support eSIM in Nigeria. What is an eSIM and How Does it Work in Nigeria, How to use or activate your eSIM in Nigeria, A List of compatible smartphones for eSIM in Nigeria
Mobile Networks that support eSIM in Nigeria
Which carrier supports eSIM in Nigeria? Currently in Nigeria, we only have two telecommunication operators that support the use of eSIM, MTN Nigeria and 9Mobile. MTN Nigeria eSIM was launched in July 2020, while 9Mobile was launched in early August 2020.
- MTN Nigeria
What Phones support eSIM?
Below is a list of compatible devices or phones that support eSIM in Nigeria without the use of third-party applications.
As of Feb 2022, the currently known list of eSIM supported devices are:
Apple devices that support eSIM in Nigeria
- iPhone 13, iPhone 13 Pro, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPhone 13 Mini
- iPhone 12, 12 Pro, 12 Pro Max, 12 Mini*
- iPhone SE*
- iPhone 11, 11 Pro, 11 Pro Max*
- iPhone XS, XS Max*
- iPhone XR*
- iPad Pro 12.9‑inch (4th generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9‑inch (3rd generation)
- iPad Pro 11‑inch (2nd generation)
- iPad Pro 11‑inch (1st generation)
- iPad Air (4th generation)
- iPad Air (3rd generation)
- iPad (8th generation)
- iPad (7th generation)
- iPad mini (5th generation)
Samsung phones that support eSIM in Nigeria
- Samsung Galaxy S22 5G, Ultra 5G, S22+ new
- Samsung Galaxy S21+ 5G
- Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G
- Samsung Galaxy Note 20 FE 5g
- Samsung Galaxy Note 20 FE
- Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra, Ultra 5g
- Samsung Note 20+
- Samsung Fold LTE model
- Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3 5G
- Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 5G
- Samsung Galaxy Z Flip
- Samsung Galaxy S20, s20+ and S20 Ultra(Single SIM Nano-SIM and/or eSIM models )
- Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G
- Samsung Galaxy Fold
Google Pixel phones that support eSIM in Nigeria
- Google Pixel 6 Pro
- Google Pixel 6
- Google Pixel 5a 5G
- Google Pixel 5
- Google Pixel 4a
- Google Pixel 4
- Google Pixel 3 & 3XL ( Limited support )
- Google Pixel 2
Microsoft devices that support eSIM in Nigeria
- Microsoft Surface Duo
- Windows 10 PCs
Huawei phones that support eSIM in Nigeria
- Huawei P40 and P40 Pro
Oppo phones that support eSIM in Nigeria
- Oppo Find X3 Pro
Sony phones that support eSIM in Nigeria
- Sony Xperia 10 III Lite
- Nuu Mobile X5
- Lenovo Yoga 630
- HP Spectre Folio
- Gemini PDA
- Motorola Razr 2019
- Palm Palm
How does the eSIM work in Nigeria?
The eSIM was globally launched in 2016. It is considered the next generation of SIM cards after Nano SIMs which were launched in 2012.
The eSIM works just like a second SIM card if you were having a device with two SIM slots. It provides you with a second phone number without buying another SIM card, all you have to do is activate it with your account profile and you are up and running. Phones and Networks that support eSIM in Nigeria.
During the first step of the activation process, compatible phones are used to scan a QR code assigned to the eSIM.
How To Register and Activate MTN eSIM in Nigeria
The MTN eSIM in Nigeria is said to be a trial that will run for 365 days and it is open on a first come first served basis to a restricted number of subscribers who own compatible devices. To register the MTN eSim you will have to visit any of the MTN stores you know, and the activation process would follow at the store. To use eSim cards, it first has to be activated on your phone. The activation has to be done in an MTN store by a customer care agent. According to MTN, the process is done at no cost to the subscriber.
Once the device is certified compatible with the MTN eSim, an account profile is created for the subscriber, and the agents complete the integration process with the user.
Once the integration is completed, a customer will find that using the virtual card is basically the same as using the current sim. There are new additions though. While physical sim cards can store up to 200 contacts, MTN eSIM cards can store more than 200 contacts.
How To Activate and Use 9Mobile Nigeria eSIM
The whole process of getting the 9Mobile eSIM is similar to that of MTN, customers can walk into any of our select 9mobile Experience Centres to request an eSIM activation, following that a QR code will be provided to scan and download an eSIM profile and perform the usual SIM registration.
Customers that walk into any 9Mobile Experience Centre and activate the eSIM and you should get up to 7GB free worth of data. If you already have the traditional SIM card and you want to replace it with an eSIM, you only need to do a SIM swap.
How to activate eSIM on Apple iPhones
Follow these steps to activate eSIM on your iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max.
- First, you need to get the QR code from a customer care agent of your network provider.
- Go to Settings>Cellular.
- Tap add a cellular plan.
- Scan the QR code which you received from the customer care agent
- If you’re asked to enter a confirmation code to activate the eSIM, enter the number provided with the QR code.
How to activate eSIM on Android phones
- Using a QR code scanner App
- Scan your eSIM QR code
- Touch the Cell Plan Detected notification when it appears.
- Press Continue at the bottom of the screen.
- Touch Add a cell plan.
- If you are prompted for a confirmation code to activate the eSIM card, enter the number provided by your operator.
How to activate eSIM on Android phones using SIMO App in Nigeria
SIMO is an app that helps users easily connect to their eSIM. List of phones you can download and use SIMO on for MTN Nigeria and 9Mobile eSIM on in Nigeria TECNO Camon 12 Pro, TECNO Camon 12, Infinix Hot 9 series, and Infinix Note 7.
- Open SIMO.
- Set eSIM profile up.
- Click “Connect” to get online.
- Buy Data. Choose the plan that works best.
- Get Support. Get support within SIMO.
Benefits of Using eSIM in Nigeria
- It stores multiple cellular profiles and hence it works seamlessly across the world.
- You no longer have to deal with cutting SIM cards or finding adapters.
- No specific slot is required, unlike SIM cards.
- There is no possibility to lose the card as it is tied to the device itself.
- It provides the same level of security as a removable SIM card.
- It is easier to switch between network operators.
eSIM Nigeria Questions and Answers
An eSIM is easily described as a digital SIM that enables users to activate a cellular plan from your carrier without having to use a physical SIM.
Yes, eSIM is available in Nigeria and was firstly launched by MTN Nigeria.
Currently, the iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, Google Pixel 2, Google Pixel 3 and Google Pixel 4 all support the use of eSIM in Nigeria.
MTN Nigeria and 9Mobile are currently the only telecommunication companies that support eSIM in Nigeria.
Yes, your smartphone will need to be connected to a data network to download the eSIM profile.
eSIM can’t be physically damaged or lost.
Yes; eSIM services are already available in Nigeria. The first mobile network to launch eSIM in Nigeria was MTN, in July 2020. Shortly after, in August 2020, 9mobile also launched its eSIM service.