Apple revolutionized text messaging by introducing iMessage games for iOS 10, which brought a fresh and exciting dimension to the platform. These games are designed to be played in a turn-based manner, allowing you and your friends to enjoy them at your own pace, without any rush or time constraints.
To get in on the fun, all you need is an iPhone running iOS 11 or a newer version. Once you have the updated iOS, you can easily access a diverse selection of iMessage games, tailor-made for interactive play with your friends.
By utilizing the App Store extension integrated into iMessage, you can swiftly download various iMessage games directly to your iPhone. The games span a wide range of choices, from thrilling bowling and captivating mini golf to the classic Yahtzee, ensuring there’s something for everyone’s taste. For more iPhone guides on A3Techworld, read our guide on Easy ways to maintain your iPhone Battery Health to Last Longer.
Moreover, the best part is that these iMessage games come at no cost, offering free amusement for you and your friends to relish. However, it’s worth mentioning that some games do provide optional in-app purchases for those seeking additional perks or enhancements during gameplay.
If you want to enjoy a game on iMessage with your contact, follow the simple step-by-step guide below:
- Open the iMessage conversation window with the contact you wish to play with.
- Tap the “Apps” icon located next to the text input field. This will take you to a section of the App Store that features iMessage-compatible games.
- Browse through the available games and install the one you’d like to play.
- Once the game is installed, select it from the iMessage conversation window.
- Make your move or take your turn in the game.
- After you’ve made your move, the other person will receive a notification, informing them that it’s now their turn to play.
- Your contact can then follow the same steps to access the game and make their move.
Table of Contents
How to play iMessage games on your iPhone or iPad
Firstly, go ahead and open up your Messages app on your phone. Look for the contact you’d like to have some fun with – you can tap on their name or simply use the search feature.
Next, direct your attention to the options just above your keyboard. Keep scrolling until you spot the icon for the App Store, and when you find it, give it a tap.
Doing so will launch a special version of the App Store dedicated solely to iMessage app extensions. Among these, you’ll find plenty of stickers, but if you keep scrolling down, you’ll come across a section charmingly titled “iMessage Games We Love.” Go ahead and tap on the “See All” button next to that section heading.
Now, you’ll be presented with a comprehensive list of games available for iMessage. Each game has its own dedicated page, where you can check out visuals, videos, and additional information about the game. Take your time to browse through the selection and find one that piques your interest.
When you’ve found a game you want to get your hands on, simply tap the “Get” button next to its icon, just like you would with any other app you download.
Once the download is complete, exit the App Store by tapping the “X” icon in the top-right corner. This will take you back to the iMessage screen.
Look below your keyboard, where you’ll find a row of icons representing the apps you’ve installed, including the game you just downloaded. Go ahead and tap on it.
This action will open up a menu that allows you to customize the game you’ll be playing with your contact. Once you’ve made your selection, the game will be loaded into your keyboard area, almost as if you’re sending a photo.
Once the game is ready, you’ll see a “Delivered” status, just like a regular message. Simply tap anywhere on the message to start your round and enjoy the gameplay.
Once you’ve made your move, it’s your friend’s turn to play. Be patient and wait for them to respond.
When your opponent is ready to make their move, you’ll receive a new message from them, containing a game preview. Tap on it to reopen the game and begin your next turn.
Keep playing until the game is over. Some games, like basketball, might only last a few rounds, while others, like chess, could go on for a while. Once the game concludes, you’ll have the option to tap “Play Again” from within the game or send a new invitation, just like before.
Top 10 iMessage Games of 2023
Some of the games below are iMessage exclusives, while others can be played outside of the app.
- Best Multi-Game Compilation for iMessage: Game Pigeon
- Best Basketball Game for iMessage: Cobi Hoops
- Air Hockey game: Let’s Puck It!
- Word Game Tournaments for iMessage: Boggle With Friends
- Best iMessage Word Game: Wordie
- Mini-Golf on iMessage: Mr Putt
- Best Icebreaker Game for iMessage: Truth Truth Lie
- Best iMessage Chess Game: Checkmate!
- Candy Crush Clone for iMessage: Bubble Bop
- Make Your Own iMessage Slide Puzzles: WIT Puzzles