How to screen record on a Windows 11 laptop. If you’re looking to record your screen in Windows 10 or Windows 11 computers, then your search ends here. In what follows, we’ll dive into the best methods to screen record your Windows computer. Similar post – How to speed up Windows 11 and get faster performance
It has now become important to record the screen of your PC for various reasons. Did you know that this can be done by using the Windows built-in application or by using third-party software? Recording screens in your computer are important because you can make YouTube videos or you can record certain errors or anomalies that occur on your screen. Similar post – How to Create a Local Account on Windows 11
Fortunately, both Windows 10 and Windows 11 have screen recording built right in as part of the Xbox Game Bar tool, and using it is extremely easy, even if you want to capture your activity in a non-gaming app. However, there are some limitations to Game Bar so you may want to use a third-party app such as OBS for screen recording if you’re doing something more complex than just capturing one application at a time.
What is the fastest way to screen record on your Windows 11 laptop with audio? You can record your screen on a Windows computer with Xbox Game Bar. Here’s how:
- To launch the Game Bar, press the Windows key + G together.
- Press Windows key + Alt + G to enable game recording feature.
- Now record your screen by either pressing Windows key + Alt + G or Windows key + Alt + R shortcut.
We have included four easy and free methods to record the screen on Windows 11. We have used Xbox Game Bar, OBS Studio, and Free Cam to record the screen on Windows 11. And the fourth way will be especially handy for students. You can expand the table below and check out the methods at your convenience.
How to screen record on Windows 11 with Xbox Game Bar
While Windows 11, or Windows 10 for that matter, does not come with a built-in screen recorder, there is the Xbox Game Bar that lets you record the screen with ease. It’s meant to record gaming sessions, but you can use it to record other windows as well. The only con is that it does not record the screen when File Explorer is open, or you are on the Desktop, which is a bummer. But the best part is the performance. Just by using a keyboard shortcut, you can start the screen recording. No need to wait for encoding the video! With that said, let’s see how this method works:
- First, make sure you are not on the Desktop. Now, open an app or window (not File Explorer) and use the Windows 11 keyboard shortcut “Windows + G“. It will open the Xbox Game Bar overlay.
- Next, move to the “Capture” option from the menu available at the top of the screen.
- If you do not see the “Capture” option, click on the “Widgets” menu and bookmark “Capture” (click the star icon next to Capture).
- A small floating pop-up window will now open up. Here, click the “Start recording” button, and there you go! Windows 11 will start recording your screen instantly. Do make sure to turn on the microphone to record your voice along with the desktop audio. Moreover, you can use the “Windows + Alt + R” keyboard shortcut to start recording the screen directly.
- To stop the recording, click the “Stop” button in the “Capture Status” floating window. The screen recording will be saved in your profile under
How to screen record on Windows 11 with OBS Studio
If you are not happy with Xbox Game Bar’s limitations and wish to record the Desktop and File Explorer without any restrictions, then OBS Studio is the best program for screen recording on Windows 11 out there. It’s a free and open-source program that works like a charm and saves video recordings without watermarks. OBS Studio may look overwhelming, but stick to the tutorial below, and you will be able to record the screen on Windows 11 easily.
How to screen record on windows 11 without game bar using OB studio:
- First, go ahead and install OBS Studio from the link right here. You can also install OBS Studio from the Microsoft Store (Free).
- Next, open the software, and select “Optimise just for recording, I will not be streaming” in the first pop-up window. Keep all the other settings default and follow the on-screen instructions.
- In the OBS Studio window, click on “+” under the “Sources” section, and select “Display Capture“. Following that, name the layer and press OK.
- Now, click on “Start Recording” and OBS Studio will start recording the whole screen with audio. No need to configure anything to record audio. It’s enabled by default.
- Once you are done, open OBS Studio and click on “Stop Recording“. The screen recording will be saved at the following location on your Windows 11 PC –
- In case you want to record a particular window or app in Windows 11, click on the “+” button under “Sources”, and select “Window Capture“. Following that, select the active window and start recording. That’s it.
How to screen record on Windows 11 with Free Cam (Third-Party App)
If you are looking for something simple, Free Cam is probably the best third-party app to record the screen on Windows 11. It’s lightweight, free to use, has a minimal UI, and does not add a watermark to screen recordings. The app also includes a video editor with the option to reduce noise. The only complaint I have with Free Cam is that it exports videos in WMV format. No support for MP4. Nevertheless, here is how you can screen record on Windows 11 with Free Cam.
- Go ahead and download Free Cam from here. After that, install the app as you would do with any executable.
- Next, open Free Cam and click on “New Recording“.
- After that, you can select the area you want to record or simply select the “Fullscreen” option from the drop-down menu. Make sure to enable the microphone and hit the red record button.
- When you want to stop the recording, press “Esc” on your keyboard, and that’s it. The Free Cam app will the screen recording will open up. Here, you can edit the video or click on “Save as Video” in the menu ribbon at the top, and you are done.
Recording your screen is a handy way to demonstrate anything on your PC. Be it installing software or doing something with changes in Settings, with screen recording you can help out everyone. We have one of the methods that helped you record your Windows display.