Netflix, the streaming platform, has had a presence in Kenya for quite some time. Despite its longevity, its popularity continues to soar, owing to its expansive collection of critically acclaimed content. Just last year, Netflix Kenya unveiled an entirely free tier exclusively for Android phone users.
Approximately a quarter of the offerings available in its premium subscription plans can be accessed through this complimentary option. Naturally, there are still alternative subscription plans that require payment. We also have a detailed article on price and payment methods for Netflix in Nigeria.
Why go through the hassle of using credit or debit cards when you can make use of M-PESA Global Pay to settle your Netflix dues in Kenya? Our article delves into the process of setting up this method and the seamless streaming experience it facilitates.
M-PESA stands as a user-friendly and secure mobile payment solution that has captured the hearts of Kenyan users. With the introduction of M-PESA Global Pay, individuals can now directly cover their Netflix subscriptions using funds from their accounts. This forward-thinking solution has alleviated the need for credit or debit cards, as well as the necessity of linking your M-PESA account with PayPal.
Table of Contents
What are the Netflix plans in Kenya?
First, let us have a look at the Netflix plans available in Kenya. New Netflix users enjoy free trials and access to the premium package for the first 30 days.
- Mobile Plan (KES 200/month): Geared towards mobile users, this plan allows streaming on one screen at a time, perfect for those who mainly stream on their smartphones.
- Basic Plan (KES 300/month): This plan offers unlimited movies and TV shows in HD quality on one screen/device at a time.
- Standard Plan (KES 700/month): The standard plan upgrades your viewing experience with HD streaming on two screens/devices simultaneously.
- Premium Plan (KES 1100/month): Experience ultra HD streaming on up to four screens/devices with the premium plan.
Looking for a similar article on Netflix. Read our comprehensive article on How to Watch Every Netflix Show from Different Countries.
How to Activate M-PESA Global Pay for Netflix Payments
Previously, it has not been possible to pay for Netflix via M-PESA directly. The only available option was a credit/debit card in Kenya, or linking your M-PESA to a PayPal account.
Now, a new partnership between M-PESA and Visa has made the process a lot easier. They have introduced an Mpesa Global Pay option, where you can get your Virtual Card and use it to pay Netflix.
To pay for Netflix using M-PESA, first, you’ll need to activate the M-PESA Global Pay feature. Follow these steps to get it done:
How to pay for Netflix Kenya using USSD code:
- Dial *334# on your phone.
- Select “Lipa na M-PESA” (Option 6).
- Choose “M-PESA GlobalPay” (Option 5).
Make payment using the M-PESA APP:
- Log in to your M-PESA
- Select Pay tab
- Select the GlobalPay and Opt-In.
- Select your card
- Enter PIN
- You will receive an SMS with the card number and expiry date.
How to use M-PESA Global Pay for Netflix
With the M-PESA Global Pay feature enabled, you’re now all set to make payments for your Netflix subscription. Here’s how you can do it:
- Head over to the Netflix website and log in to your account.
- Hover your cursor over your profile and choose “Account” from the drop-down list.
- Navigate to the “Manage Payment Info” section.
- Select “Add Payment Method” and input your M-PESA card details.
- Don’t forget to save your changes.
From now on, Netflix will automatically deduct the subscription fee from your M-PESA account on a monthly basis. If you ever want to cancel your subscription or update your payment method, you have the flexibility to do so within the “Account” settings.
To avoid any interruptions in your Netflix service, make sure your M-PESA account maintains sufficient funds.