How To Lock Your SIM Card Now, A3 Techworld Tech guide. If you’re a person that travels or goes places a lot you might need to lock your sim card now. In this post, I will give easy steps to lock your MTN, Glo, Airtel, or 9Mobile sim card, which works on both Apple iPhones and Android devices.
All cellular phones, including your iPhone and cellular iPad, require a subscriber identity module (SIM) card in order to use cellular services on GSM and some CDMA networks. With the new Nano-SIM that phones currently use, a CDMA device can connect to GSM networks when roaming, which is useful if you travel a lot.
Every SIM card whether MTN, Airtel, Glo, or 9Mobile comes with a default PIN which is usually 0000. Another is a PUK PIN which is the unlock Key. You’ll only need the PUK if you’ve attempted to do a SIM PIN Lock, and you fail to guess the original PIN.
SIM Swap fraud has been a real issue in Nigeria for both skilled and barely skilled cybercriminals. The most important step to take is to protect yourself by locking your SIM card.
How To Lock Your MTN, Glo, Airtel, or 9Mobile SIM on your iPhone:
- Go to Settings on your iOS device.
- Tap on Cellular.
- Locate SIM PIN and tap it.
- Toggle the SIM PIN to ON.
- Input your current SIM PIN if the SIM wasn’t locked.
- Enter a new SIM PIN to lock your SIM card
- Make sure that you remember it!
How To Lock Your MTN, Glo, Airtel, or 9Mobile SIM on your Android phone:
- Go to settings, then Security.
- If you are using a dual SIM phone, select the SIM card you want to lock.
- Set up SIM card lock.
- Enter the default SIM PIN.
- Tap Change SIM PIN.
- Enter old SIM PIN and press OK.
- Enter new SIM PIN to lock SIM card.
- Confirm the new four-digit PIN.
- Press OK and exit.
How to protect your SIM card from scammers
Below I will show you easy steps you can take to protect your SIM card from scammers that can use your SIM card to transfer money from your bank account in Nigeria
- Go to SETTINGS for your phone.
- Navigate to SECURITY & LOCATION under SETTINGS.
- Go to SIM CARD LOCK.
- Click on LOCK SIM CARD.
- Enter Your mobile network default SIM CARD PIN. For most Glo, MTN, Airtel, and 9Mobile networks the pin is 0000.
- After you enter the MOBILE NETWORK DEFAULT PIN, right under you will see CHANGE SIM PIN, click on it to change to Your unique 4 digit pin.
- Confirm Your unique 4 digit pin by entering it again and you’re done.
Always Protect your SIM card
SIM cards are a vital part of keeping us connected, and we don’t want them to fall into the wrong hands. Adding a SIM PIN as explained above is a great way to make sure that no one can take your SIM card and use it as their own, so it helps give you some peace of mind. Just make sure to remember that SIM PIN.
Locking SIM card FAQ
To protect your SIM card from others using it for phone calls or cellular data, you can use a SIM PIN. Then, every time you restart your device or remove the SIM card, your SIM card will automatically lock and you’ll see “Locked SIM” in the status bar. Don’t try to guess your SIM PIN.
Locking a sim card protects your identity where no one can access it without knowing the various codes or having the exact biometric pattern of your fingerprint. It’s done to prevent fraud if your device is ever lost, stolen, or misplaced.
The PIN is an acronym for Personal Identification Number and represents an access code made of four digits. When you buy a SIM card, you also receive a PIN for it. You need this four-digit code to enable the SIM card once you have inserted it into your phone, to be able to access your operator’s mobile network.
To unlock your SIM Card, reset the PIN by entering your SIM Card’s unique PUK (PIN Unlock Key). Note: Entering an incorrect PUK (PIN Unlock Key) 10 times will permanently lock your SIM Card. If the SIM Card becomes permanently locked, you will need to swap it for a new SIM Card.
You can remove the SIM lock by performing an unlock procedure on the phone. Although the specific unlock instructions differ according to your phone model, the procedure consists of obtaining an unlock code from your existing mobile provider. You can also buy a code online if the provider is unable to give it to you.