Tech guide on A3 Techworld: How to lock specific apps on your Windows 10 laptop. For most people who have given people access to their computers, it is best to lock apps you want private.
We might be using a lot of apps on our smartphones but we tend to use our work apps and software on our PCs. By locking apps, you don’t need to worry about any unauthorized access to your favorite apps. How to speed up Windows 11 and get faster performance
While Windows 10 offers a built-in AppLocker service, it’s limited to Windows Enterprise and Education versions.
There are multiple ways to lock apps in Windows 10. You can use any third-party app lockers for Windows 10 to lock Windows 10 apps and software.
In this article, we are going to share the best methods to lock software or apps on your windows 10 pc.
How to Lock Apps on Windows 10 using My Lockbox
My Lockbox is basically a folder locker app, but it works with apps also. How to lock specific apps on your Windows 10 laptop using my lockbox:
- First of all, on your Windows 10 PC, download and install the app My Lockbox software.
- After installing this app, launch the app. The tool will ask you to set up a password and that will be for locking the apps you want. You can also add a password hint and an email id, that will help you recover passwords in case you forget.
- Now click on the Browse option and there you need to select the folder where the app is installed. To lock all apps installed in the system installation drive, enter the path – C:\Program Files (x86). You just need to locate the folder where the app is installed.
- Now the app will get locked and whenever anyone will try to access the app, it will get the error message.
- To unlock an app, you can head over to the My Lockbox control panel and hit the “Unlock button”. You will need to enter the password to open the My Lockbox app, so not everyone will be able to access it.
The software requires the password even when you are trying to uninstall it.
Alternative Applications for locking apps on Windows 10
GiliSoft EXE Lock
All in all, GiliSoft Exe Lock is an easy-to-use utility that can prove a great option for those of you who want to prevent people from accessing or uninstalling apps on their PCs. Along with password protection to software, GiliSoft also protects users from viruses that try and modify the system.
While GiliSoft EXE Lock is available for a free trial. If you want to use GiliSoft’s app locker software, you will have to buy the full version ($19.95) – for 8,400 Naira in Nigeria.
Smart-X AppLocker is a system utility developed by Smart-X Software Solutions. The program was released in January 2010. The Smart-X AppLocker enables users to restrict access to specific applications or programs.
Users may uncheck and re-check applications to unlock or lock the same when already added to the Application Locker. The program also features a Configure button enabling users to customize other settings for the program.
Folder Guard is a powerful computer security program that you can use to control access to files, folders, and other Windows resources. The Folder Guard is available for a free 30 days trial, after which you will have to buy the full version ($39.95) – for 17,500 Naira in Nigeria.
IObit Protected Folder Windows 10
With IObit Free version, you can lock files, folders & apps. The tool is available for free and it can lock down a specific app. On the first use, you need to set up a password-protected vault. Once done, you can place any app or folders in the vault.