How to connect a Nintendo Switch Pro controller to your PC. The easiest way to use Nintendo’s Switch Pro controller on your PC, wired or via Bluetooth. Best Portable Personal Gaming Stations With Built-In Monitors To Buy In The US. You can easily play your favorite Steam games with the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller. You can play other PC games with it, too, but it requires a bit of work. Here’s how to do it.
The Nintendo Switch Pro Controller is one of the priciest “baseline” controllers in the current console generation, but it’s also sturdy, feels good to play with, has an excellent directional pad, and features impressive motion sensors and vibration tech. On top of that, the gamepad uses Bluetooth, so you don’t need an adapter to connect it with your PC. Best Nintendo DS Emulators For Windows And Mac
The Pro Controller appears to Windows as a DirectInput controller rather than an XInput controller like the Xbox Series S/X and Xbox One gamepads, so it can be a bit of a chore to get it working with your PC games. Fortunately, Valve added full Switch Pro Controller support to Steam, so that probably covers a good chunk of your game library. Non-Steam games require additional steps that we’ll walk you through.
How to connect a Nintendo Switch Pro controller to your PC (wired):
- Grab a USB-C cable and plug one end into the top of the Switch Pro controller, and the other into your PC.
- Windows should detect and identify the Nintendo Switch controller, and you’ll see a small notification in the task bar telling you when it’s done.
How to connect a Nintendo Switch Pro controller to PC (wireless)
To connect the Switch Pro controller on your PC wirelessly, you’ll either need to have Bluetooth built in, or have a Bluetooth dongle lying around. Assuming you do, here’s how you connect your Switch Pro controller to PC via Bluetooth.
- Press the Start button, and then press “Settings”.
- In the window that opens, select “Devices,” which is the second choice on the top row.
- Make sure the Bluetooth toggle is switched on, and then press “Add Bluetooth or other device.”
- You now have to choose the kind of device you want to connect. Ignore the mention of Xbox controllers at the bottom, and press the top option: “Bluetooth.”
- You now need to put your Switch Pro controller in pairing mode. Pick it up and find the small button on the left side of the charging port.
- Press and hold the button until the set of lights on the underside of the pad (marked 6 in the image above) starts flashing back and forth.
- Back on your computer, a list will have begun to fill featuring Bluetooth devices that can be connected. The Switch Pro controller will appear here, and it’s thankfully easy to spot, named simply “Pro Controller.” Click this option.
- All being well, you’ll get confirmation with the words “Your device is ready to go!” Once you’ve seen this message, your gamepad is connected.