How to become an Ethical Hacker in Nigeria step-by-step, learn skills you need, and how to build a successful in Ethical Hacking. You can become a successful ethical hacker without a degree and cybersecurity working experience, Learn, practice and hack away (with consent).
What is Ethical Hacking? Ethical hacking involves an authorized attempt to gain unauthorized access to a computer system, application, or data. Carrying out an ethical hack involves duplicating strategies and actions of malicious attackers.
With this rise of Cyber threats in Nigeria as a result of the cluelessness of basic security measures by Nigerians, it has become appropriate that Nigerians develop skills around Ethical hacking (cybersecurity) in order to be readily available when the job opportunity comes from any organization.
This article will tell you everything you need to build a successful hacking career in cybersecurity as an ethical hacker; steps to take, skills needed, data science jobs in Nigeria, etc. Universities offering CyberSecurity courses or degrees in Nigeria.
Most Cyber Security jobs require a four year Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or Information Technology. It generally covers a foundation in Programming, Database, and Statistics with an insight into Artificial Intelligence, Cryptography, and Ethical Hacking.
How to become a successful Ethical hacker in Nigeria
Below is a general guide to building a career in Ethical hacking or penetration testing in Nigeria in 2021:
- Earn a bachelor’s degree in IT, computer science, math, physics, or another related field.
- Learn and understand networking.
- Get Hands-on LINUX/UNIX.
- Obtain an entry-level job or internship in IT Security.
- Learn Cryptography.
- Get Cyber Security certifications – CEH, OSCP, CISSP, Security+.
- Practice and Experiment.
- Explore vulnerabilities.
- Join discussions and relate with hackers.
Area of concentration to build a good foundation as an Ethical hacker
In order to enter into the IT security field as a white hat, you should be well versed in the following areas:
- Networking — Cisco certification courses are really good. There are many CCNA courses available.
- Programming — Learn languages like C++, Python/Ruby, and PHP.
- Databases — Work with MySQL and MSSQL and make your own database to know how it works.
- Operating systems — Most types of Linux are similar to one another, I use Debian on a lot of servers and Kali. Additionally, it is worth understanding the more obscure areas of Windows such as the registry.
A Master’s Degree takes an additional one to two years after the Bachelor’s Degree. It provides advanced instruction in protecting computer networks and infrastructures from threats.
You learn about ethics, policies, and procedures of cybersecurity and how to carry out security measures and defence techniques. It prepares students to be sophisticated practitioners and enables them to investigate critical technologies such as digital forensics, biometry, and cryptography.
Best Cybersecurity certifications you need to get now
All these certifications are paid ones and industry-recognized which will help you to find a high-paying job in the IT security sector or get promoted in your Cybersecurity role.
- Cisco Certified CyberOps Associate
- CompTIA Security+
- Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH)
- Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP)
- Offensive Security Certified Professional (OSCP)
- Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA)
- GIAC Certified Incident Handler (GCIH)
- GIAC Security Essentials (GSEC)
- Systems Security Certified Practitioner (SSCP)
Cyber Security Job Profile in Nigeria
The main job of a cybersecurity professional is the protection of data. The job responsibilities of cybersecurity professionals are very complicated and span across all organizations. Before you look for cybersecurity certification, you need to look into the different career options. These are but are not limited to:
- Security Specialist
- Security Administrator
- Chief Information Security Officer (CISO)
- Security Architect
- Security Analyst
- Vulnerability Assessor
- Security Auditor
- Security Director
- Penetration Tester
- Security Consultant
- Security Engineer
- Incident Responder
- Forensic Expert
- Source Code Auditor
- Security Manager
How much do Ethical hackers make? Ethical hackers salary
ZIP RECRUITER – Based on recent job posting activity on ZipRecruiter, the Ethical Hacker job market in both Lagos, Nigeria and throughout the entire state is not very active as few companies are currently hiring. An Ethical Hacker in your area makes on average $9,941 per month or the same as the national average monthly salary of $9,941. ranks number 1 out of 50 states nationwide for Ethical Hacker salaries.
What is the Salary Range for CEH Certification Jobs?
How much do certified ethical hackers make? The certified decent hacker salary range varies by location, organization, position, and experience. To muddy the waters, the results of various salary surveys often give only an unhelpfully broad range and can be confusing.
Let us unpack the data, primarily supplied by Indeed and Payscale, both excellent resources for CEH jobs and to investigate typical pay ranges for qualified, ethical hackers.
Based on years’ experience:
- Entry-level – $50,000 – $100,000 – (0 to 5 years)
- Junior – $100,000 – $120,000 – (5 to 10 years)
- Senior – $120,000+ – (10 years+)