How to apply for the 2023 Western Union Foundation Fellowship Fully-Funded Entrepreneurship Program in Nigeria. The Western Union Foundation Fellowship is an extraordinary initiative that serves as a catalyst for venture and leadership development. It empowers visionary entrepreneurs and community leaders who hail from, or work closely with, marginalized, refugee, and forcibly displaced communities worldwide.
The innovative program transcends geographical boundaries, embracing a virtual and global approach according to A3Techworld. Its purpose is to provide these exceptional individuals with the tools and expertise they need to expand economic opportunities, forge meaningful connections, and effect positive change within their communities. Thanks to the generous support of the Western Union Foundation, this program is fully funded, ensuring that participants can focus wholeheartedly on their growth and transformation.
Table of Contents
Dates & Details of the Program in 2023
Program Timeline: The Western Union Foundation Fellowship spans from October 2nd, 2023, to February 15th, 2024, offering an enriching 16-week journey. To ensure a balanced experience, there will be a well-deserved break of two weeks in December.
Format and Commitment: Our program primarily takes place through engaging virtual workshops conducted on a weekly basis. However, we also aim to facilitate localized gatherings and events whenever possible, fostering a sense of community and collaboration. Participants can expect to invest approximately 6-8 hours per week into the program, dedicating their valuable time to honing their skills and knowledge.
Immersive Experience and Orientation: Embarking on a thrilling adventure, the Fellowship commences with a comprehensive 2-week virtual Immersive starting on October 2nd, 2023. During this period, participants will immerse themselves in an intense learning environment, devoting around 20-25 hours per week to the program. This orientation phase will equip them with the essential foundations for success.
Workshops and Training: The Fellowship curriculum covers various essential modules, providing a well-rounded education for participants. These modules include Foundations, Data & Metrics, Go-To-Market, Funding, Team Management, and Pitch. Each segment is carefully designed to enhance their entrepreneurial acumen and practical skills.
Impact Series: At the heart of our program lies a unique opportunity for fellows to learn from the best. We invite the world’s foremost leaders, entrepreneurs, and practitioners to share their remarkable journeys and experiences, mentoring both the Watson Institute and our talented fellows. Their valuable insights will inspire and guide participants towards realizing their full potential.
Basecamp: To foster innovation and collaboration, we facilitate immersive 2+ day workshops known as Basecamps. These workshops are specifically tailored to the needs of our fellows and their communities. Here, they will ideate solutions, design effective business models, and polish their ability to compellingly communicate their ventures to external audiences.
Summit: The grand culmination of the Fellowship is the highly anticipated Summit. Taking place on February 13, 2024, this community event brings together local leaders, funders, and entrepreneurs. Fellows will showcase their remarkable progress and present their ventures to an esteemed audience, opening doors to further opportunities.
Seed Funding: Recognizing the incredible potential of our fellows, we are thrilled to provide $45,000 in seed funding. This funding will be distributed among select Western Union Foundation Fellows based on their progress and the impact they have made throughout the Fellowship. It is our commitment to support their continued growth and success.
Are you eligible for the program?
To be eligible for the program, you should meet the following criteria:
- Entrepreneur or Community Leader: You are an entrepreneur or community leader who is actively involved with highly marginalized, refugee, and forcibly displaced communities worldwide.
- Early-Stage Social Impact Venture or Community Initiative: You are leading an early-stage social impact venture or community initiative that has already demonstrated impact, entrepreneurship, and leadership in your community. Early-stage ventures are those that have a working prototype/MVP (Minimum Viable Product) with active customers or beneficiaries and have shown both impact and revenue. Ideally, you are in the process of exploring your product-market fit.
- Priority Countries: While applications from all countries are welcome, priority will be given to applicants from or working in the following countries: Argentina, Bangladesh, Brazil, Colombia, Costa Rica, India, Japan, Lithuania, Mexico, Nigeria, Pakistan, Philippines, Uganda, United Kingdom, and the United States.
- Seeking Entrepreneurial Training, Funding Opportunities, and Mentorship: You are seeking expert-led entrepreneurial training, access to funding opportunities, and a wide network of mentorship to accelerate your leadership skills and the impact of your venture.
If selected for the program, you can expect to achieve the following:
- Roadmap for Growth and Impact: With the guidance and support of the Watson Institute team, you will develop a clear roadmap for growing and scaling your work and its impact.
- Facilitation of Impact Workshops and Training: You will have the opportunity to facilitate an impact workshop and training, known as a Basecamp, in your community for your stakeholders. The Watson Institute will provide you with a stipend, playbook, and team support to help make this happen.
Please note that meeting the eligibility criteria does not guarantee acceptance into the program, as the selection process will be based on a comprehensive evaluation of all applicants.
How to apply for the fully-funded program for entrepreneurs from Nigeria
Apply Now for the Fully-Funded Program for Nigerian Entrepreneurs! Exciting news for Nigerian entrepreneurs. Applications are now open for our fully-funded program. Don’t miss out on this amazing opportunity. The application process is simple and efficient. You have two rounds of review, and applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Apply early to increase your chances. If selected, you’ll have a Zoom interview with their admissions committee.
Acceptance notifications and fellowship awards will be announced in mid-August. Finalize your enrollment by reviewing and signing the MOU.
Deadline: August 18th, 2023. Apply now watson.is/western-union-fellowship-application