Discover how to easily change your BVN number and date of birth online in Nigeria and how long the process takes. Your BVN (Bank Verification Number) plays a crucial role in various financial transactions, making it essential to ensure accurate and up-to-date information. In this article, we’ll walk you through the process of updating your BVN details, so you can have a hassle-free banking experience.
Your BVN is an 11-digit number that serves as your unique universal identity for all financial activities in Nigeria. It helps maintain consistency across your bank accounts and ensures the security of your personal banking information, reducing the risk of theft and financial fraud.
Now, there are three reasons causing discrepancy and why you might want to change your BVN name, date of birth, or phone number.
- Irregular names in accounts
- Do a newspaper publication with the correct name accompanied by an affidavit.
- Get an affidavit with the preferred name, the name should also be published on a national daily.
- False date of birth
- You are to go to the bank with an affidavit and an identification card with your correct date of birth.
- You are required to provide your marriage certificate bearing your new name and an already newspaper-published copy. They could require an ID card in some cases.
Table of Contents
How to change BVN name and details in Nigerian bank accounts
If for some reason, you have some irregularities with your bank account and you need to change your BVN name, you can do so easily by following the below process:
- You need to obtain an affidavit and you can do that by going to a court of competent jurisdiction with a suitable ID card.
- Publish the same in a national daily newspaper for a token, buy the paper and you can go to the bank.
- In the bank, you will be given a BVN correction form to fill out and customer information update as the case apply.
- The change of BVN name should be effected in not more than 24 hours.
The process is fairly easy. Once this is done, you can access your money.
how long does it take to change the date of birth or Name on BVN?
Once you provide all the necessary documents, the process should not take more than 24 hours. It takes a maximum of three weeks to change the name, date of birth, and number on BVN. If it exceeds three weeks and no changes occurred on your BVN, kindly visit the customer care unit of your bank.