How do you figure out who called you with no caller ID? If you are frequently on the receiving end of unwanted calls from unknown numbers, you’re probably frustrated and looking for ways to stop them.
At one point or the other, every cell phone user has received a call from an unknown number. Being in these kinds of situations can be frustrating because, as human beings, we are wary of the unknown – including phone calls. Top 5 Calling Apps For Unlimited Calls With Wi-Fi
While some callers behind the unknown numbers may not bear bad intentions, some could be scammers or spammers. Either way, you won’t know until you pick up the call. Find Out What Happens When Someone Calls You On While You Are On Airplane
How Do Callers Hide Their Phone Number?
First, how do these people hide their phone numbers when they call you? Anyone can hide their number because of the No Caller ID feature. When you make this type of call, you appear as an Unknown Caller. All that it takes is entering a few digits.
Enter *67 before the number that you wish to call. This action will automatically block your caller ID. The No Caller ID feature usually gets used to prevent tracking. However, some people misuse it for harassment and other illegal activities. That’s why you need to learn how to unmask the caller’s number.
How to Find out Who an Unknown Caller Is by Calling Your Phone Company
Since phone companies have records of your previous calls, they usually provide their customers with an Anonymous Caller ID service. Depending on your carrier, you can activate the *57 service. This star code reveals the unknown phone number and possibly other minor details.
Unfortunately, not every carrier supports this function, and those that do often charge a fee every time you use it. If the methods below don’t work for you, contact your phone carrier to see if *57 is an option to reveal unknown callers. But, it is imperative that you dial the star code directly after the anonymous call.
How to Find out Who an Unknown Caller Is by Using TrapCall
TrapCall is one of the most reliable services to unmask and block unknown numbers. The TrapCall app allows its users to:
- Unmask any phone number.
- Unmask the name, address, and photo of a caller with No Caller ID turned on.
- Put these numbers on a blacklist so that when they call again, they will hear a message telling them that your number has been disconnected or isn’t in service.
- Use automatic spam call blocking.
- Use incoming call recording.
All you need to do to use TrapCall is to subscribe to the service by signing up on the official website. After that, you activate the service on your mobile phone. The process usually lasts around 5 minutes, and it is straightforward to complete.
After setting up TrapCall, when you receive a No Caller ID call, you need to decline it. After that, TrapCall redirects the number to their system, then unmasks the caller and sends you a notification with the exact number and some additional information. TrapCall works on both Android and iPhone smartphone devices. Unfortunately, this service isn’t available anywhere outside the United States of America.
How To Block No Caller ID Calls On iPhone By using the Do Not Disturb feature
You can block no Caller ID calls by turning ON your iPhone’s Do Not Disturb mode. If you have this feature turned ON, you will be able to silence no Caller ID calls automatically.
Follow this process to enable the feature.
- STEP 1: Go to “Settings” on your iPhone
- STEP 2: Scroll to the “Do Not Disturb” option and tap on the toggle switch beside it
- STEP 3: Tap on the “Allow Calls From”
- STEP 4: A list of options will show up. Select “All Contacts” from the option.
If you use a newer version iPhone like the iPhone X, iPhone 11, or iPhone 12, you will have to follow a slightly different process:
- STEP 1: Open the “Settings” on your iPhone
- STEP 2: Scroll through the “Settings” menu and select the “Phone” option
- STEP 3: In the “Phone” menu, scroll to the “Silence Unknown Callers” option and tap on the switch beside it
Verizon has no feature that allows you to unmask a no Caller ID call. Instead, you can call the Verizon phone company to ask for the identity of the person calling you.
However, it is unlikely that they will give you any caller’s ID information without following due process. You may need to get the information through the law by filing a police report for harassment or getting a court order.
An alternative is to Install apps that can unmask no Caller ID calls. You can install apps like TrapCall on your device.
You will need to hide your number to be able to make anonymous calls on your Android phone. You can do that through either one of the methods below.
Use the *67 code trick to hide your number
A quick way to make anonymous calls is by dialing *67 before inputting the number you want to call. For instance, if you wish to put out an anonymous call through to this number – 777-777-7777, dial *67-777-777-7777.
Hide your number by default
Android devices allow you to hide your number by default. Thanks to this feature, you won’t need to use the *67 tricks constantly.
Follow this process to hide your number by default.
- STEP 1: Go to your phone’s “Settings”
- STEP 2: Scroll to “Call settings” and select it
- STEP 3: Click on “Additional settings”
- STEP 4: In “Additional settings,” select “Caller ID”
- STEP 5: Select “Hide number” from the menu that pops up
- You can call your phone carrier and tell them you want to hide your number.
If you want to make your number private on your iPhone, you can dial *67 before any call you make. Simply dial *67 before inputting the number you intend to call.
There’s also another method. You can make your number private on your iPhone by using the phone’s default settings to hide your number.
- STEP 1: Open the “Settings” on your phone
- STEP 2: Scroll to “Phone” and tap on it
- STEP 3: Go to “Show My Caller ID“
- STEP 4: Tap on the toggle switch beside the “Show My Caller ID” option
Lastly, you could also call your phone carrier to request that you want your number hidden during calls.
Follow this process to see blocked numbers on your iPhone.
- STEP 1: Open Settings
- STEP 2: Click on the “Phone” option
- STEP 3: Scroll to the “Calls” section and tap “Call Blocking & Identification”
- STEP 4: In the call “Blocking & Identification” screen, you will be able to see blocked numbers
Can you get Trapcall For Free?
TrapCall is an app that is available freely for download with a free trial period. However, at the end of this free trial period, it will become mandatory for you to pay for the services the app offers.
You will be charged a monthly or yearly price according to your country to purchase the service. Hence, you cannot get the TrapCall service for free. You can only download it for free.
You may need to get law enforcement involved if you want to trace a spoofed phone number. You can also call your phone company to request information about the spoofed number.
If you want an easier and faster option, you can install special apps that help you to trace calls. Some of these apps include.
- True Caller ID & Dialer
- Mobile Number Call Tracker
- Call Tracker
- Trace Mobile Number
You can also use reverse phone lookup technology through websites like;
- Search here
- Social Catfish
Unlike physical addresses, Google Voice numbers aren’t listed in phone books. As a result, they are difficult to trace. Anyone who will be able to trace a google number must be someone with impeccable hacking skills.
However, tracing your Google number can become easy if law enforcement agencies become involved. If for some reason, law enforcement becomes involved, Google will have to provide them with your account information.
Several things can happen if you call back a spam number. Some of these things are;
- You could get a “Disconnected Number” message from the receiving end.
- You can also get a busy signal.
- You may be returning the spam call to an innocent person who doesn’t know anything about the spam call. This is because some Telemarketers just pick up phone books in a local area and use the numbers to call their victims.
- If you are lucky, you may be able to connect directly with the person that called you.
- If you return a spam call, the spammer will find out that a real person owns the number