High medical costs are among the biggest challenges faced by Nigerian citizens. Health insurance is recommended because it protects citizens from unprecedented hospital bills. The Government of Nigeria established the National Health Insurance Scheme (NHIS) to help with medical bills. Citizens are encouraged to register for NHIS.
Established in 1999, the National Health Insurance Scheme (NHIS) is a corporate body that provides accessible, affordable, and universal health care services to all Nigerians. NHIS’s primary function is to protect families in Nigeria from financial barriers as they seek health care.
The policymakers ensure that funds are always available to the public health sector so people can access quality services. The information below will tell you more.
Table of Contents
The primary functions of NHIS are to complement sources of financing for the health sector and to improve access to health care for Nigerians. The NHIS registration process depends on the programme one is eligible for, as explored below.
- Formal sector: This includes the Formal Sector Social Health Insurance Programme, Mobile Health, and Group/ Individual/ Family Social Health Insurance Programme. It caters to people who are in the public sector (federal, state, or local governments, organised private sector, and the police, armed forces, and other uniformed services.
- Informal sector: It includes Tertiary Institution Social Health Insurance Programmes, Community Based Social Health Insurance Programmes, and Voluntary Contributors Social Health Insurance Programmes.
- Vulnerable groups: This category caters to physically challenged persons, prison inmates, children under five, pregnant women, refugees, and immigrants.
- GFSHIP: This means Group Individual and Family Social health insurance programme. Individuals, families, or groups can register.
How Much Is NHIS in Nigeria?
Even though the Nigerian federal government covers the bill for the Formal Sector Social Health Insurance Program (FSSHIP), the cost of the other programs (including the private sector) varies. The cost of National Health Insurance Scheme registration for parents and their children is N9,000 per head.
On the other hand, private healthcare providers usually charge between N35,000 and N220,000 for individual plans, while family plans range from N125,000 to N650,000. It costs N15,000 to register for the Voluntary Contributor Social Health Insurance Program (VCSHIP) and N10,000 per head.
It costs N12,000 to register for the National Mobile Health Insurance Program (NMHIP) and N9,000 per head. All NHIS fees for service are renewed annually.
Registration for people in the formal sector
Employers are responsible for registering their employees in the Formal Sector Social Health Insurance Programme. If you are recently employed in this sector, do not fret because you do not need to do much about it.
Each month, part of every employee’s salary is deducted as their contribution. The employee and their family can enjoy the benefits of health insurance as stipulated in the NHIS policy document.
If you wish to manage your account and see your dependents’ information, follow the steps below.
- Visit the NHIS registration portal on an internet-enabled device.
- Click Register.
- Enter your NHIS number, surname, and date of birth to register an online account.
- Once you register, you will view the information you need.
Registration for the informal sector, vulnerable groups, & GFSHIP
If you wish to make voluntary contributions, you can either do it online or via a USSD code.
How to register on the NHIS portal (online registration)
Follow the steps below to complete the registration process via the NHIS registration portal.
- Open your browser on an internet-enabled device and visit the official NHIS website.
- Click Online Registration on the homepage.
- Fill in the required information, then click Submit to create an account. Ensure you note down the NHIS login details, as you will need them to access your account.
- Next, find your preferred Health Maintenance Organization (HMO) and buy a voucher. You can check out the NHIS HMO list online to identify the closest one.
- Visit the NHIS website again and click the Voluntary Contributors tab.
- Scroll down the page and click Register.
- Enter accurate details in all the fields provided.
- An NHIS hospital list will appear on your screen. Choose the most convenient healthcare facility for you. If the list fails to appear on your screen, enter a different state or Local Government Area in the details section.
- Next, choose a payment method. Always make the contributions as required to access NHIS services at your chosen health facility.
How to register for NHIS via USSD code
If you do not have access to the internet, you can register for the medical scheme as a voluntary contributor using the steps below.
- Dial the USSD code *616# on your phone.
- Follow the prompts and fill out all the required information.
- If the application is successful, you will receive a text message containing your e-ID
How do I find my NHIS number?
You can find your number by logging into your NHIS account on an internet-enabled device. Alternatively, you can dial *929# on any network.
Benefits of NHIS
Registered NHIS members have the benefits listed below.
- Free outpatient care services.
- Access to prescribed medications, pharmaceutical care, and diagnostic tests as stipulated in the terms and conditions.
- Maternity services for up to four live births for every insured contributor or couple in the formal sector.
- Access to preventive care services, including immunisation, family planning, antenatal care, health education, and post-natal care.
- Access to hospital care in standard wards for a cumulative of 15 days per year in non-military hospitals and no limit in military facilities.
- Access to counselling services.
How to contact NHIS directly
If you wish to contact NHIS for more information, use the details below.
- Phone numbers: +123 0805-928-2008/ +234 0808-328-0131/ 0803-979-6126/ 0806-574-4100/ 0805-901-5854
- Email address: [email protected]
- Headquarters physical address: Plot 297, P.O.W. Mafemi Crescent, Off Solomon Lar Way, Utako District, Abuja
- NHIS Lagos Zonal Office is located at 443 Herbert Macaulay Way.